Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Rosanna Pansino: 'I Got To Bake In My Food Idol' Julia Child's Kitchen
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- A YouTube Star Explains Why He Gave Up Med School for Makeup
- Elle Fanning's Floral Updo Is Pure #HairGoals (and What Pinterest Boards Are Made of)
- WATCH: See the Sexiest Teacher Alive (and LGBT Rights Advocate) Work Out in This Swoon-Worthy New Clip from People's List
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 02, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 8
Model Veronica Webb Essays a Literary Life
A top model for the likes of Chanel and Revlon, Webb is becoming a literary contender too, thanks to pieces in magazines like Esquire and Details. Her first book, Veronica Webb Sight: Adventures in the Big City (Hyperion), is a collection of essays on such topics as Mike Tyson, Spike Lee, sexuality and fashion politics. "I'm considered a writer," Webb marvels. "It tickles me."
The youngest of three daughters born to Doug, an electrician who died in 1993, and Marion, a nurse, Webb graduated in 1983 from Detroit's Waldorf School. Moving to New York City to study design the same year, Webb got her modeling start after a makeup artist saw her in a housewares boutique. But even as she scaled the fashion ladder, Webb—a voracious reader whose faves include James Baldwin and Jorge Luis Borges—built a career as a writer. "She just trains her sights on something," says sister Jennifer Holt, an oncologist in Southfield, Mich., "and goes for it full force."
Once linked romantically to Robert De Niro, Webb dreams of a husband and kids ("That's something you just can't order up," she says) and shares her Manhattan apartment with Hercules, her dachshund. While her modeling days may someday dwindle, Webb feels she has the muscle and will to go the distance as a writer. Looking ahead to future projects, she says firmly, "I have tons of ideas."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!