Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender Open Up About Their Private Off-Screen Romance
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- WATCH: Adrienne Bailon Dishes on Her 'Magical' Engagement to Israel Houghton: 'He Is Everything I Wanted and More'
- #NationalDogDay: See the Celebrity Love Notes to Their Fur Babies
- Drake Surprises Rihanna with a Billboard to Congratulate Her on Receiving Video Vanguard Award
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 04, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 17
Rupert Murdoch and Wife Anna Agree to a Marital Hiatus
Acquaintances of the couple's were quick to register shock. "If [Anna Murdoch] was having personal problems, she didn't show it," says L.A.'s Melrose Elementary School principal Regina Goldman, whose students had met the mogul's wife less than a week earlier during a trip to 20th Century Fox's L.A. studio. Says Murdoch biographer William Shawcross: "It's always been an extremely strong marriage." But, he adds, "each of them is a very strong-willed person."
Murdoch was separated from his first wife and running a string of Australian papers in the mid-'60s when intern-reporter Anna Torv came to interview him. Years later, after bearing their three children and writing several successful novels, she alluded to frustrations. "I'm a regular wife who would like her husband not to work so hard," she told the Los Angeles Times in 1985. "But I don't nag, I just sigh."
Shawcross, for one, is optimistic about a reconciliation. "Anna wants Rupert to spend more of whatever years he has left on family and less on work," he says. "This is a kind of ultimatum."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!