Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Horror in Brooklyn: Families Mourn Police Officers Killed by Gunman Seeking Revenge
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Lauren Scruggs and Jason Kennedy: Inside Their Wedding
- New Jersey Strip Club Used in The Sopranos Robbed of $30K
- Will Reeve on Robin Williams: He Loved My Father 'Fiercely'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday December 21, 2014 05:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 04, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 17
Rupert Murdoch and Wife Anna Agree to a Marital Hiatus
Acquaintances of the couple's were quick to register shock. "If [Anna Murdoch] was having personal problems, she didn't show it," says L.A.'s Melrose Elementary School principal Regina Goldman, whose students had met the mogul's wife less than a week earlier during a trip to 20th Century Fox's L.A. studio. Says Murdoch biographer William Shawcross: "It's always been an extremely strong marriage." But, he adds, "each of them is a very strong-willed person."
Murdoch was separated from his first wife and running a string of Australian papers in the mid-'60s when intern-reporter Anna Torv came to interview him. Years later, after bearing their three children and writing several successful novels, she alluded to frustrations. "I'm a regular wife who would like her husband not to work so hard," she told the Los Angeles Times in 1985. "But I don't nag, I just sigh."
Shawcross, for one, is optimistic about a reconciliation. "Anna wants Rupert to spend more of whatever years he has left on family and less on work," he says. "This is a kind of ultimatum."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!