Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- T.I.'s Stepdaughter Zonnique Pullins Speaks Out After Gun Arrest at Airport: 'It Was Really Just an Honest Mistake'
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Chloë Grace Moretz Wanted a 'Boob Job and Butt Reduction' at Only 16
- YouTube Star Tyler Oakley on 'Shady' Social Media Comments: 'Words Have Power'
- FROM EW: Brexit Impact on British Filmmaking Could Be Devastating, Industry Insiders Say
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 04, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 17
Rupert Murdoch and Wife Anna Agree to a Marital Hiatus
Acquaintances of the couple's were quick to register shock. "If [Anna Murdoch] was having personal problems, she didn't show it," says L.A.'s Melrose Elementary School principal Regina Goldman, whose students had met the mogul's wife less than a week earlier during a trip to 20th Century Fox's L.A. studio. Says Murdoch biographer William Shawcross: "It's always been an extremely strong marriage." But, he adds, "each of them is a very strong-willed person."
Murdoch was separated from his first wife and running a string of Australian papers in the mid-'60s when intern-reporter Anna Torv came to interview him. Years later, after bearing their three children and writing several successful novels, she alluded to frustrations. "I'm a regular wife who would like her husband not to work so hard," she told the Los Angeles Times in 1985. "But I don't nag, I just sigh."
Shawcross, for one, is optimistic about a reconciliation. "Anna wants Rupert to spend more of whatever years he has left on family and less on work," he says. "This is a kind of ultimatum."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!