Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Daniel Craig Is the Ultimate Action Hero in New James Bond Spectre Trailer
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- Taraji P. Henson Apologizes for Accusing Police of Racially Profiling Her Son
- Heroes Among Us: After a Tragic Loss, Man Gives Sick Kids the Gift of Music
- Sam Worthington and Lara Bingle Welcome a Son
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 04, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 17
Lord of Terror
Beneath Pol Pot's Genteel Facade Beat the Heart of a Merciless Murderer
Born Saloth Sar, the eighth of nine children of a middle-class farmer, "he was a quiet, smart boy who never got into fights," recalls his brother Saloth Nhep, 70. As a government scholarship student in Paris in 1949, Pol Pot immersed himself in communism. He returned in 1953 and, seven years later, helped found Cambodia's Communist Party, becoming its leader in 1963. By 1970, the Vietnam War had spilled into Cambodia, posing a threat that helped swell the ranks of Pol Pot's jungle-based Khmer Rouge guerrillas. Five years later, 70,000 of them marched into the capital, Phnom Penh, and began the bloody reign that ended only in 1979, after an invasion by Vietnam. Having spent the past two decades in hiding, Pol Pot ended his days under house arrest by his own soldiers for ordering the death of a comrade. The years had not changed him, according to Far Eastern Economic Review's Nate Thayer, who interviewed the fallen despot in 1997. "He did not feel remorse," says Thayer. "The guy went to his grave without saying, 'I'm sorry.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!