Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Game of Thrones Fans Are Freaking Out About Sunday's Shocker
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- All the Highlights – and Winners – from the American Country Countdown Awards
- One Happy Family! Dr. Oz and Daphne Oz Both Take Home Daytime Emmys
- Khloé Kardashian Says She's Done with Caitlyn Jenner on KUWTK Premiere: 'I Don't Have a Relationship with Her'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 04, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 17
Lord of Terror
Beneath Pol Pot's Genteel Facade Beat the Heart of a Merciless Murderer
Born Saloth Sar, the eighth of nine children of a middle-class farmer, "he was a quiet, smart boy who never got into fights," recalls his brother Saloth Nhep, 70. As a government scholarship student in Paris in 1949, Pol Pot immersed himself in communism. He returned in 1953 and, seven years later, helped found Cambodia's Communist Party, becoming its leader in 1963. By 1970, the Vietnam War had spilled into Cambodia, posing a threat that helped swell the ranks of Pol Pot's jungle-based Khmer Rouge guerrillas. Five years later, 70,000 of them marched into the capital, Phnom Penh, and began the bloody reign that ended only in 1979, after an invasion by Vietnam. Having spent the past two decades in hiding, Pol Pot ended his days under house arrest by his own soldiers for ordering the death of a comrade. The years had not changed him, according to Far Eastern Economic Review's Nate Thayer, who interviewed the fallen despot in 1997. "He did not feel remorse," says Thayer. "The guy went to his grave without saying, 'I'm sorry.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!