Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Hillary Clinton Makes Surprise Appearance At Rally Outside Donald Trump's Vegas Hotel
- Read the Cover Story: How Blake Shelton Is Moving On After Split
- Alek Skarlatos Gives Update on Spencer Stone's Recovery: 'It Might Take Him A Minute'
- Aaron Rodgers on Relationship With Olivia Munn: 'She's a Huge Encourager and Supporter'
- Johnny Depp on the Oscars: 'I Don't Want to Win One of Those Things Ever'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Erykah Badu: Singer
Why not? The former Erica Wright (she changed the spelling of her first name in high school and in college adopted Badu, which means "to manifest truth and light" in Arabic) has been crowned the next big thing by music fans, who've bought more than 2 million copies of her jazz hip-hop debut album, Baduizm.
A vegetarian who has made many of her own clothes since grade school, Badu, 27, tends equally to the outside and the inside of her lithe 5'3" frame. "I like to take a salt bath before I appear in public, to create my own sense of calm," she says. "And I start and end each day with a glass of hot lemon water. It flushes out all the impurities and toxins and keeps you healthy."
"I always told Erykah, 'Pretty is as pretty does,' " says Kolleen Wright, who raised Badu and her brother and sister in Dallas. "What matters is on the inside, not what you look like or how you wear your head wrap. After that, she just naturally blossomed into the beauty that she is."
Now at full flower, Badu, the mother of 6-month-old son Seven (whose father she declines to name), uses Queen Afua's Rejuvenating Clay and Carol's Daughter beauty products. "Lots of people have told me I am beautiful," Badu says. "But the one who touched me the most was Ste-vie Wonder. He can't even see, but he said there was some inner beauty in me that he felt."
October 10, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!