Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Miranda Kerr Shows off Her Engagement Ring from Snapchat Founder Evan Spiegel (on Snapchat of Course!)
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Gene Wilder 'Was In a Class By Himself' Says Young Frankenstein Co-Star Cloris Leachman In Touching Tribute
- Diane Kruger Gives C.J. Parker a Run for Her Money in Red One-Piece Swimsuit
- Stanford Sexual Assault Convict Brock Turner to Be Released From Jail on Friday
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Bernard C. Parks: Police Chief
Commanding 9,600 officers and 3,000 civilian employees keeps Parks on the move. He works 12-hour days and spends evenings speaking at community events. Rising at 5 a.m. ("I can do well with only five hours of sleep"), he reads several newspapers, prepares for his daily meetings, then showers and dresses. Before leaving the house he shares with his wife of 30 years, Bobbi, a v.p. for a printing company, he applies a dab of cologne (Angel and Givenchy's Gentleman are among his favorites) and a spritz of Dark & Lovely hair oil spray.
Though the 6'2½" Parks is intent on getting flabby L.A. cops into shape by awarding medals to the fittest, he's not one for the gym himself. He bikes occasionally, but "I try not to work out," he admits. "I do keep an eye on my weight, though." The chief must have a good metabolism. "He's the only person I know who can survive on a diet of ice cream and it never shows up," says his son Bernard Jr., 24, a television news writer and the youngest of Parks's four children. "He's in remarkable shape."
At least one L.A. contingent agrees. Parks "attracts a lot of excitement from the ladies," says John W. Mack, president of the Los Angeles Urban League. Bernard Jr. can vouch for that; "When I started dating," he recalls, "girls would say, 'We think you're cute, but your father...' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!