Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Beauty Queen Sentenced to Prison in Fake Cancer Scam: She 'Literally Stole from Dying People'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Michael Lohan Expresses Concern for 'Frantic' Daughter Lindsay Following Alleged Altercation with Fiancé: 'I Wanted to Get Her to a Safe Place'
- WATCH: AHS Releases First Teasers for Mysterious Season 6 – and They're Predictably Terrifying
- WATCH: Jazz Jennings Nervously Prepares for Her First Date – Even Though She Admits, 'I Still Don't Know My Sexual Orientation'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Chris Carter: Tv Producer
Perhaps from beyond? No, from the Los Angeles suburb of Bellflower, where Carter, 41, was voted Mr. Smile and Mr. Flirt by his senior high school class (allowed only one superlative, he had to abdicate Mr. Smile). A surfer since the age of 12, Carter, who is married to screenwriter Dori Pierson, can still be found most mornings at 6 in the ocean near his home in Pacific Palisades, catching waves, paddleboarding or swimming to keep his 5'11" frame in alien-fighting trim. And the force is with him. "I think I've been asked a lot more than most TV producers to go on-camera," Carter says. "But I just do what I do and don't think about the package."
That hasn't stopped rabid Files fans from making Carter a pinup alongside series stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. "He grew up in Southern California and looked like such a surfer boy that people wrote him off," says his longtime friend, writer/producer Robin Schiff. Despite his "junk-jewelry blue" eyes, she adds, the somber "Fox Mulder character is a good alter ego for him because both men are good-looking and are very passionate about what they're doing."
Because "skin really takes a beating" out on the briny, Carter slathers on sunscreen every morning. "I have to be careful with surfing," he says. "It's still an addiction to me. It's all I want to do, and that's the big dilemma I have with it."
That's nothing compared with what Duchovny and Anderson face each Sunday night—as well as in next month's X-Files movie. Still, Anderson deems her boss yet another unexplained phenomenon. "Chris is a wonderful storyteller," she says. "But he never reveals too much. I feel like I know him, and at the same time I know absolutely nothing about him." Hmmmm, eerie.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!