Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Watch 4-Year-Old Heaven King Do the Nae Nae with Her Own Tiny Dance Crew (VIDEO)
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Bruce Jenner Is on a 'Mission' to Help People Who Face Discrimination: Source
- Sophia Bush Speaks of Heartbreak as Ex-Boyfriend Is First American Confirmed Dead in Nepal Earthquake
- Zac Efron Has a Karaoke Night with Sami Miró – Complete with Sugar Ray and Smashmouth Singalongs
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Anne Bancroft: Actress
The man whom "Mrs. Robinson" seduced knows why. "She would stop you from breathing, because there was something stunning about her," says Dustin Hoffman. And with her deep-set brown eyes and salt-and-pepper hair, Bancroft, 66, has a mystique that only increases with time. "Her beauty has grown," says Arthur Penn, who directed her Oscar-winning turn in 1962's The Miracle Worker.
Yet the actress, whose most recent work includes G.I. Jane and Great Expectations, is nonchalant about her image. "I do not think about being beautiful," she says. "What I devote most of my time to is being healthy." Bancroft puts in 40 minutes a day on the treadmill and adheres to the Pritikin diet of fish and steamed or water-sautéed vegetables (organically grown), cheating occasionally on "something like osso buco or a great Chinese meal." And the medicine cabinet in the Brooks house in Santa Monica is stocked with holistic products. "I have embraced everything," she says. "Astragalus, CoQ-10, all the vitamins. They really build up my immune system." For peace of mind she meditates and takes naps to rejuvenate. "To me it is the most exciting, the most rebellious thing, to go to sleep," she says.
To keep her luster, the 5'6" Bancroft gets collagen injections ("a great find") around her mouth about three times a year. Otherwise, she's a do-it-yourself woman. For her recent appearance at the Oscars, Bancroft took charge of her own hair and makeup. "I'm very old," she says. "I've learned how to do this stuff. I thought I never looked better." Smiling, she adds, "I am growing up."
When will she be done? "I think God will tell me."
April 25, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!