Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Want to Live Like Royalty? Ex-Greek King's Former London Mansion Is for Sale – and His Godson Prince William Used to Party There!
- Read the Cover Story: The Bachelorette's Kaitlyn and Shawn 'It Was Love At First Sight!'
- Rebecca Ferguson Was Where When She Found Out She'd Be Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible Costar?
- Fruit for Thought: Lo Bosworth Shares Her Go-To Healthy Smoothie Ingredients
- Wisconsin Dad Allegedly Killed Disabled Son, Then Committed Suicide with a Nail Gun
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Bai Ling: Actress
After her service, she became a notable screen presence in China, and now Ling, who came to the U.S. seven years ago, sets off fireworks with an A-list of Western leading men. She costarred with Richard Gere in last year's Red Corner. Later this year, she'll join Jon Bon Jovi in the drama Row Your Boat, and in 1999 she'll ride with Will Smith and Kevin Kline in The Wild Wild West. It's not only her deep sienna eyes and raven hair that captivate the camera. "She has the same arresting qualities as Garbo," says West casting director David Rubin. "Sensu-ousness and a sense of mystery."
Ling, who is single, is puzzled by the on-your-face Hollywood glamor thing. In China, she explains, the ideal is "something half-open, half-hidden—that's considered cultured and attractive." As for powder and pancake, she says, "I'm very private, so when I'm in the makeup chair and I don't know the person, I feel very uncomfortable." She's not vanity-free, though. Her prized waist-length hair, she concedes, is "always getting caught in car doors. It even gets under strangers' arms at restaurants." The 5'5" actress's secret? "Eat a lot and sleep a lot. And no exercise."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!