Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM EW: Maze Runner: The Death Cure Release Date Pushed Back Following Dylan O'Brien's Injuries
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Shop Your Way Into Summer! 38 Memorial Day Weekend Sales That Are Too Good to Miss
- This Workout Gear Will Make You Actually Want to Hit the Gym
- Formerly Homeless Student Graduates College While Supporting Her Brothers: 'I Only Seek to Go Forward'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Gloria Stuart: Actress
So is her résumé. Born and raised in Santa Monica, Stuart made her film debut in 1932's Street of Women. In the mid-40s, disgusted with the "girl reporter, girl detective, girl overboard" roles she was getting, she left Hollywood for New York City with her second husband, the late screenwriter Arthur Sheekman (who cowrote Duck Soup and Monkey Business with the Marx Brothers and with whom she had a daughter). There she concentrated on painting. Returning to L.A. in 1974, she acted occasionally and began printing limited-edition art books. "Gloria encompasses everything about what it is to be a well-lived woman," says Titanic costar Suzy Amis, who played her granddaughter. "She's genuine, sassy, wise, funny and supportive."
But a bit flummoxed by today's beauty rigors. "I don't even remember knowing about personal trainers," says Stuart, a devotee of Vaseline and Saturday-night poker games who recalls gentler times with Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland. "We played tennis on Sundays and went to Palm Springs and lay in the sun and swam." Now that's a golden age.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!