Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM EW: Matchbox Twenty's Rob Thomas Talks Upcoming Solo Album and New Single, 'Trust You'
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- 'Wolverine' Killer Found Dead in the Woods After Slaughtering His Family
- Kaitlyn Bristowe's Bachelorette Blog: The Date Moment That Was 'My Worst Nightmare'
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Ex Chris Martin Celebrate Memorial Day Together at Star-Studded Bash in Malibu
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Chris Waddell: Model/athlete
Still, Waddell has learned to take nothing for granted. The 6-foot, Massachusetts-born son of a schoolteacher and a social worker was 20 when a 1988 skiing accident paralyzed him from the waist down. In less than a year he was back on the slopes in a specially built frame. During the last three Paralympic competitions, he has won five gold and four silver medals.
"It surprises people when I tell them that the quality of my life really hasn't diminished," says Waddell, who travels constantly between meets and modeling assignments for department stores and catalogs such as Eddie Bauer's. "I've competed at a higher level and wasn't able to say that I was the best at anything prior to my injury, and now I can. So in a sense, it's a blessing."
Waddell's natural good looks are another. A bit of Infusium 23 spray to keep his thick, wavy hair out of his eyes is his only daily requirement. He once had to shave his chest hair for a magazine shoot, but "I have about six of them, so it didn't take that long," he says. Four times a year he pays $20—including tip—for a haircut ("I don't go to Cristophe") and leaves the rest to Mother Nature.
She's responding like all the others. "He definitely has a strong effect on women," says girlfriend Lara Rosenbaum, 24, a member of the U.S. ski team. "He's electric."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!