Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Anthony Anderson Addresses Oscars Controversy at NAACP Image Awards: 'This Is What Diversity Is Supposed to Look Like'
- Read the Cover Story: Amy Duggar King: I'm Doing It My Way
- NAACP Image Awards 2016: Kerry Washington, Jada Pinkett Smith, Laverne Cox Make Best Dressed List
- Carolina Panthers' Kurt Coleman Opens Up About the Unique Bond He Shares With the College Teammate He Paralyzed
- Survivor Alum Michael Skupin Charged with Child Pornography and Racketeering
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Calista Flockhart: Actress
The daughter of an executive and a schoolteacher, Flockhart, who was born in Free-port, Ill., began her Broadway career in the 1994 revival of The Glass Menagerie and later played Robin Williams's daughter-in-law-to-be in The Birdcage. But her low-maintenance look was made for McBeal. "Usually, it takes longer to get the women ready than the men," says Germann of the Ally set. "But she's pretty quick. What you see on the screen is what she looks like in real life." Many admirers compare her show-stopping looks to those of Michelle Pfeiffer, wife of Ally creator David E. Kelley. "I find it hugely flattering," Flockhart, 5'6", told TV Guide last year, "although I don't necessarily see it. I feel like I have to apologize to her." She has had the opportunity: Flockhart is currently filming A Midsummer Night's Dream with Pfeiffer and Kevin Kline.
Of course, no apology is really necessary. The single Flockhart, who lives in the Hollywood Hills with her mixed-breed terrier Webster, inhabits a different realm of radiance. "There's this gamine side to her, and yet at the same time, she seems strong," says Bellows. "She's elegant, and she's a mop-top, and all those things are pretty beautiful." It isn't at all ironic that Calista means "most beautiful" in Greek.
All parts considered, her best feature may be her ears. "When women are asked why a man is attractive, they'll often answer, 'Because he listens,' " says Germann. "That's true with Calista. She's there in the moment with you. Which makes it more fun to look at her."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!