Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Queen Elizabeth Is Hiring a Live-In Housekeeper – and the Salary Will Surprise You!
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- You Can Now Drink (or Eat) Your Sunscreen – but Doctors Say Take the Hamptons Trend with a Healthy Dose of Skepticism
- What's Next for Criminal Minds After Thomas Gibson's Firing?
- Rainforest Charity Pushes for Leonardo DiCaprio to Return Donations Linked to Malaysian Corruption Controversy
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 18
Mixing Chic with Cheek, the Academy of Country Music Shindig Hits a High Note
Not that traditionalists fell out of favor during the ceremony, which was broadcast live to over 17 million viewers on CBS. Tim McGraw, with pregnant wife Faith Hill, wore a jacket and jeans to nab four statuettes for the pair's duet "It's Your Love." Cowboy hats topped Garth Brooks (in black Wranglers) and Dwight Yoakam, while Pam Tillis chose her spangled Mon Atelier slip dress "as a throwback, my own personal tribute to Tammy Wynette."
Whatever their statement, many of the nearly 6,000 attendees—unlike their Hollywood counterparts—took pains to appear down-home. "I'm normally a no-makeup, sweatpants-wearing single mom," said New Female Vocalist winner Lee Ann Womack, in a spaghetti-strap dress by Carla Westcott. But the award for aw-shucks humility went to Travis Tritt, who came in Levi's and a suede shirt by Gossamer Wings. "I just wear what I feel comfortable in," he said. "I've tried to have style—but I've never actually been in it."
Steven Cojocaru and Julie Jordan in Los Angeles
- Steven Cojocaru,
- Julie Jordan.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!