Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mother of Female Soldier Killed in Action Remembers Her Daughter
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Chris Pratt's Son Thinks He's a Firefighter (VIDEO)
- Brody and Brandon Jenner Post to Instagram in Support of Dad Bruce Jenner
- NBC's Inquiry into Brian Williams Expands to Include More Potential Fabrications: Report
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 01, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 21
Cliff Hillegass, the Harried Student's Star in Stripes, Celebrates 40 Years of Making Long Stories Short
When Clifton Hillegass published his first study guide 40 years ago, he could hardly have foreseen the extent to which students would come to depend on his yellow-and-black striped booklets. By now hundreds of millions of them have found their way to students of every stripe, though many in academe, like Brigham Young University bookstore manager Linda Brummett, still disapprove: "You might as well read a cereal box."
What began with Hillegass's shipping summaries of Shakespeare's plays from the basement of his modest Lincoln, Neb., home—inspired by a friend who sold similar notes in Canada—is now a 60-employee business in an art-filled office building in Lincoln, offering a list of more than 220 literary titles. And Cliff himself, now 80 and suffering from Parkinson's disease, still serves as chairman of the board, though he no longer runs the daily operations. "He always said the employees make the company, and the notes belong to them," says wife Mary. Paraphrasing her husband, of course.
April 25, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!