Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Beyoncé, Adele and Kerry Washington Make List of 50 Most Powerful Moms
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- Tupac Shakur's Mother Afeni Shakur Davis Dies at 69: Police
- Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom Wear Matching Tamagotchis for Their Met Gala Looks!
- Karlie Kloss Has Her Met Gala Gown Cut Right Off Her to Make an Afterparty Dress
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 01, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 21
Cliff Hillegass, the Harried Student's Star in Stripes, Celebrates 40 Years of Making Long Stories Short
When Clifton Hillegass published his first study guide 40 years ago, he could hardly have foreseen the extent to which students would come to depend on his yellow-and-black striped booklets. By now hundreds of millions of them have found their way to students of every stripe, though many in academe, like Brigham Young University bookstore manager Linda Brummett, still disapprove: "You might as well read a cereal box."
What began with Hillegass's shipping summaries of Shakespeare's plays from the basement of his modest Lincoln, Neb., home—inspired by a friend who sold similar notes in Canada—is now a 60-employee business in an art-filled office building in Lincoln, offering a list of more than 220 literary titles. And Cliff himself, now 80 and suffering from Parkinson's disease, still serves as chairman of the board, though he no longer runs the daily operations. "He always said the employees make the company, and the notes belong to them," says wife Mary. Paraphrasing her husband, of course.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!