Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Bill Cosby Files Motion to Dismiss Defamation Lawsuit Against Him
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Royal Astronaut? Prince William Shares Boyhood Wish During Visit to Japan
- Burger King Franchisee of the Year Award Winner Gives $120K to Employees
- Teen Encouraged Friend to Commit Suicide, Police Say
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 08, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 22
At Bill's, Everybody Knew Frank and Shirley Capaci's Names Even Before They Hit a $104.3 Million Jackpot
And $104.3 million (less taxes) is what Frank Capaci, 67, and his wife, Shirley, 63, loyal patrons at Bill's, have to play with, thanks to winning the multistate Powerball lottery on May 20. (They would have grossed $195 million if they had not opted for a lump-sum payment.) "I don't know how to feel," says Capaci. "I ain't never been a millionaire before." But he did share his good fortune, buying round after round.
The Capacis—he's a retired electrician; she's a retired secretary—came into their windfall after two bartenders at Bill's collected $180 from the patrons (including $5 from the Capacis) and drove to Pell Lake, Wis., to buy tickets. After the drawing, Capaci came in and opened the envelope with his ticket. "Frank," says Bill Berger, the owner, "was stunned and not saying a word."
And the Capacis, married for 43 years, with three grown sons, are staying mum about what they plan to do now that they're superrich. One clue: The morning after the party, Capaci was at the Poplar Creek Country Club by 5 a.m. No, he didn't have an early tee time with some fellow millionaires. He's a part-time groundskeeper, and he didn't want to be late for his shift.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!