Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Kristen Stewart and Nicholas Hoult Try to Resist Their Feelings in Clip from Sci-Fi Drama Equals
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Khloé Kardashian Feels Conflicted About Her Exes: 'If People Are Destructive to You Emotionally, That Still Doesn't Mean You Can't Love Them'
- Mother-in-Law of Murdered Texas Fitness Instructor Shares Love Story Between Her Son and Daughter-in-Law: 'She Was Definitely the One'
- WATCH: Jennifer Holliday Surprises The View's Whoopi Goldberg with Superstar Co-Host Karaoke Performance of 'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 08, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 22
Carol Channing, 77, Walks Out on Her Spouse of 41 Years
If she didn't realize in all those years how miserable she was, says the actress, it's because she was busy making audiences happy. "I haven't got time to notice anything other than focusing my thoughts on the next show," says the star, who has performed Dolly! almost 5,000 times since 1964 and is currently on a lecture tour. But when an accountant told her that Lowe, who managed Channing's career and money for the duration of their marriage, had spent $500,000 in 1997 alone, she felt shocked and used. Was their union "for love," asks Channing, who left Lowe in December and now wants their assets frozen, "or the salary check?"
Channing's only child, an editorial cartoonist for the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, applauds her move. "She has made a decision to find meaning in her life," says Chan Lowe, 45. (The product of the actress's second marriage, he was adopted by Charles Lowe.)
Now recovering from a stroke he suffered shortly before Channing split, the elder Lowe has denied his wife's charges. "My God, in no way is any of it true," he told USA Today from Los Angeles. "I devoted myself to Carol." But the curtain appears to have come down for good. "There were no tears," said Channing's friend Maxine Mesinger, a columnist for the Houston Chronicle, after speaking with her last week. "And no regrets."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!