Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sheila E.: The Prince I Knew Was 'Funny,' a 'Genius' and 'an Amazing Gentleman'
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- Snap Back Queen! Kim Kardashian Sizzles in Swimsuit 5 Months After Giving Birth
- Get the Beauty Balm All the Instagram Cool Girls Are Obsessed With
- Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift Are Each Other's Dates for This Year's Met Gala
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 23
Hey, Kids! Elbert Loewenstein Walked 1,000 Miles to School!
The six-state schlepp was more than just folly. Loewenstein set out on April 1 to drum up scholarship funds for Gibbon High and the Stamford, Neb., high school where he'd sent two of his three children. By the time he reached Gibbon 51 days later, he'd raised $50,000 from Nebraska banks and residents who had pledged a dollar a mile. To top it off, he added $15,000 of his own. "It's an example of someone giving back to small-town America," says Gibbon Mayor Monte Standage.
Loewenstein knows education turns lives around. An indifferent student in high school ("Common as an old shoe," says classmate Bob Clevenger), he got serious after Marine service in Korea, went to the University of Nebraska on the GI bill, then spent 24 years as a bank president. He married Betty in 1949; during his walk she was close by in their car, scouting hotels, keeping him in water, Baby Ruths and shoes (three pairs), and soaking his feet in Epsom salts. "Sometimes he looked just pitiful," teases Betty. Replies Elbert, deadpan: "You never told me that. You just said, 'Keep walkin', buddy.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!