Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Ryan Lochte Apologizes for His Olympics Scandal: 'I've Got a Big Heart, I Let a Lot of People Down'
- Read the Cover Story: The Final Five: Their Amazing Journey!
- Zion Harvey on His Favorite Thing About Being First Kid Ever to Receive Double Hand Transplant: I Can 'Wrap Them Around My Mom'
- Senator Amy Klobuchar Fights the 400 Percent Price Hike of EpiPens and Shares Her Emotional Story of Her Daughter's Allergic Attack
- Rihanna Breaks Summer Dress Code in Puffer Coats and Tracksuit
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 23
When Park Bears Get Too Close to People, Carrie Hunt Tries to Avoid a Grisly Solution
Saving problem bears has been Hunt's obsession since 1978 when, while working on a study of grizzlies at Yellowstone National Park, she had to shoot a 2-year-old bear deemed dangerous because it kept approaching people too closely—even after it was relocated several times. "It was a horribly sad thing to kill that bear," says Hunt. "I knew there had to be a better way."
The solution she hit on may not be subtle, but it works. After tracking down a problem bear (usually found foraging at night in park garbage), Hunt and park workers chase him with three or four leashed, barking Karelian bear dogs—a breed used by hunters in Finland and Russia. Then she shoots off firecrackers and shouts, "Get out of here, bear!" If the beast doesn't take the hint, Hunt blasts it in the rump with rubber bullets or bean-bags. When the bear retreats, Hunt does too. "It's a way of saying, 'You did the right thing,' " she explains.
Of the 60 bears, including 19 grizzlies, that Hunt put a scare into last summer, most were still "being good" when she left in the fall. Says Hunt: "The more I get to know bears, the more I realize how gentle and willing to avoid trouble they are."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!