Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Adam Sandler Fondly Reminisces About Chris Farley … and His Appetite (VIDEO)
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- Max Maisel, Son of ESPN Writer, Has Been Missing for More than a Week
- Tina Fey on Pal Ellie Kemper: She's Just Delightful!
- PHOTOS: Jessa and Ben Seewald Take a Romantic Stroll on the Beach
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 23
When Park Bears Get Too Close to People, Carrie Hunt Tries to Avoid a Grisly Solution
Saving problem bears has been Hunt's obsession since 1978 when, while working on a study of grizzlies at Yellowstone National Park, she had to shoot a 2-year-old bear deemed dangerous because it kept approaching people too closely—even after it was relocated several times. "It was a horribly sad thing to kill that bear," says Hunt. "I knew there had to be a better way."
The solution she hit on may not be subtle, but it works. After tracking down a problem bear (usually found foraging at night in park garbage), Hunt and park workers chase him with three or four leashed, barking Karelian bear dogs—a breed used by hunters in Finland and Russia. Then she shoots off firecrackers and shouts, "Get out of here, bear!" If the beast doesn't take the hint, Hunt blasts it in the rump with rubber bullets or bean-bags. When the bear retreats, Hunt does too. "It's a way of saying, 'You did the right thing,' " she explains.
Of the 60 bears, including 19 grizzlies, that Hunt put a scare into last summer, most were still "being good" when she left in the fall. Says Hunt: "The more I get to know bears, the more I realize how gentle and willing to avoid trouble they are."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!