Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Hawaii Woman Wins $10.7M Jackpot Playing a Penny Slot at Wynn Las Vegas
- Read the Cover Story: The Final Five: Their Amazing Journey!
- Bachelor in Paradise's Caila Quinn Accuses Ashley Iaconetti of 'Sabotaging' Her Relationship with Jared Haibon
- Find Out How Jinger Duggar's Fiancé Jeremy Vuolo Said 'I Love You' for the First Time
- FROM EW: Slay All Day! Leslie Jones Is Just One of SNL's Returning Stars – Find Out Who Else Is Back
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 23
On Top of the World
For One Joyful Air Force Cadet, a Bone-Marrow Transplant Makes His Impossible Dream—graduation—come True
Such happiness seemed beyond Bauman's reach in 1995, when as a senior he was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia and told he would die without a bone-marrow transplant (PEOPLE, March 4, 1996). "The first day he was down," recalls father Steve, 53, of Pine City, Minn., an engineer for 3M who, with his wife, Elaine, 53, a grade-school nurse, adopted Brian in 1977. "The second day he said, 'Okay, I'm going to take on the world.' And he did." The most suitable donor turned out to be a South Korean soldier who learned of Brian's plight from a Korean TV documentary. A year after the transplant, Bauman returned to school.
Regulations bar him from ever flying for the Air Force and decree that his cancer must be in remission for five years before he can apply for a commission. But right now, Bauman, 23, is concentrating on other goals, "like getting my [parachute] jump license, my private pilot's license and my scuba license"—and finding a job. "If you put your mind to it, you can always accomplish what you want," he says. "There is nothing stopping you but yourself."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!