Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Prince Harry Falls from His Polo Pony – But Gets Right Back in the Saddle
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Sexiest Bodyguard Alive: Meet Adele's New Steamy Security
- 16 Sure-to-Wow Gifts for $25 or Less!
- L.A. Businessman Buys 400 American Soldiers Dinner During Airport Layover: 'You Guys Risk Your Lives to Protect Me and My Family'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 23
On Top of the World
For One Joyful Air Force Cadet, a Bone-Marrow Transplant Makes His Impossible Dream—graduation—come True
Such happiness seemed beyond Bauman's reach in 1995, when as a senior he was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia and told he would die without a bone-marrow transplant (PEOPLE, March 4, 1996). "The first day he was down," recalls father Steve, 53, of Pine City, Minn., an engineer for 3M who, with his wife, Elaine, 53, a grade-school nurse, adopted Brian in 1977. "The second day he said, 'Okay, I'm going to take on the world.' And he did." The most suitable donor turned out to be a South Korean soldier who learned of Brian's plight from a Korean TV documentary. A year after the transplant, Bauman returned to school.
Regulations bar him from ever flying for the Air Force and decree that his cancer must be in remission for five years before he can apply for a commission. But right now, Bauman, 23, is concentrating on other goals, "like getting my [parachute] jump license, my private pilot's license and my scuba license"—and finding a job. "If you put your mind to it, you can always accomplish what you want," he says. "There is nothing stopping you but yourself."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!