Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kimberly Caldwell on New Motherhood: 'It's the Greatest Challenge'
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Utah Mom's Golden Girls' 'Granny Panties' Are a Big Holiday Hit (Spoiler: Blanche's Are Crotchless)
- Dan Deacon on Touring with Miley Cyrus: She's Surprisingly 'Down to Earth'
- Kristin Cavallari Posts Sweet Snap With New Daughter Saylor James
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 13, 1998
- Vol. 49
- No. 27
Dr. Peter Fong, a Marine Biologist, Finds Out That Prozac Does a Lot to Bring Mollusks Out of Their Shells
In fact, Fong, 39, a marine biologist at Gettysburg College, in Gettysburg, Pa., has discovered that just one drop of the antidepressant makes clams act like rabbits. In one hour, each undepressed clam produces 10 little baby clams. But since the fingernail clams he uses are hermaphroditic—they have both male and female sex organs—all this mad, passionate lovemaking involves only themselves. Selfish shellfish!
Fong, however, isn't after vicarious thrills. Some aquatic farmers enhance clam reproduction with injections of the chemical serotonin, which Prozac stimulates in the human brain (in humans, Prozac can diminish sex drive). To test his theory that Prozac would work as a more cost-effective clam Viagra, he began trials in 1996.
So far, Fong, who is single, has tested only nonedible shellfish, but he plans to turn to table-worthy varieties soon. "It will be the resolution of a lot of questions," he says.
And if it all works out, he'll be as happy as an edible marine bivalve mollusk.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!