Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Michael Jackson Molestation Lawsuit Is Thrown Out by Judge
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Kylie Jenner Puts Pregnancy Rumors to Rest: 'Clearly I'm Not'
- D.C. Mansion Murder Suspect's Father: 'We Hope Whoever Committed These Crimes Will Suffer the Consequences'
- Jenny Lewis's Cheeky New Video References Everything from Troop Beverly Hills to Golden Girls: Watch!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 03, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 3
Nelson Mandela Marks His Birthday by Marrying the Woman He Loves
The two treated their marriage—her second, his third (he was divorced from second wife Winnie in 1996)—like a state secret, denying it would take place right up to the ceremony, which was held in their Johannesburg mansion. The next day South Africa celebrated. Mandela's televised birthday party became a star-studded wedding reception with 2,000 guests, including Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Lethal Weapon 4's Danny Glover and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who in the past has gently chided the couple for living out of wedlock. "She's made a decent man out of him," Tutu commented. "Now you won't shout at me," Mandela laughingly told his old friend.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!