Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Wearing Shorts This Weekend? You Might Want to Check Out This Smoothing, Firming Spray
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Jennifer Lopez: What I Eat in a Day
- FIRST LOOK: See Pat Green's Touching Tribute to Long-Distance Parents in New Video
- N.Y.C. Food Cart Vendor Fired After Astronomical $30 Hot Dogs Cause Outrage
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 14, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 9
A Jersey Guy (Via Glasgow) Makes Pipes Even Scots Envy
Scots have long regarded their bagpipes as the only ones worth playing, but MacLellan's Garden State variety is winning fans on both sides of the Atlantic. For the Glasgow-born MacLellan, 41, who moved to the U.S. in 1980 and worked as a silversmith before launching his fledgling business six years ago, making the musical instrument of his fathers in the adopted land he loves is, he says, "the perfect mix of who I am."
MacLellan's bagpipes have silver ferrules (ringlike decorations) and hand-carved drones (the aptly named pipes themselves). And with demand fanned by tartan-packed movies like Bravebeart and Rob Roy (and Titanic, which featured Irish-style uilleann pipes), buyers from as far as Hong Kong must wait up to four months for MacLellan's $1,50043,000 pipes. Says Angus MacDonald, deputy director of Glasgow's Piping Centre: "They're as good as anything we've got here."
All of which is music to the ears of MacLellan and wife Avis Taylor, 35, a model, who supported her husband's pipe dream in the days before it was profitable. "I like shopping and driving fancy cars," jokes Avis. "We're not there yet, but I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!