Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Karenna Gore on the Presidential Election: 'I Really Don't Like the Way It's Covered'
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Trisha Yearwood: 'I Feel Lucky' to Get to Tour With Husband Garth Brooks
- Britt McHenry Returns to Work, Tweets Another Apology For 'Hurtful Actions'
- Cleveland Kidnapping Survivors Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus Share Their Love of Life
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 14, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 9
A Jersey Guy (Via Glasgow) Makes Pipes Even Scots Envy
Scots have long regarded their bagpipes as the only ones worth playing, but MacLellan's Garden State variety is winning fans on both sides of the Atlantic. For the Glasgow-born MacLellan, 41, who moved to the U.S. in 1980 and worked as a silversmith before launching his fledgling business six years ago, making the musical instrument of his fathers in the adopted land he loves is, he says, "the perfect mix of who I am."
MacLellan's bagpipes have silver ferrules (ringlike decorations) and hand-carved drones (the aptly named pipes themselves). And with demand fanned by tartan-packed movies like Bravebeart and Rob Roy (and Titanic, which featured Irish-style uilleann pipes), buyers from as far as Hong Kong must wait up to four months for MacLellan's $1,50043,000 pipes. Says Angus MacDonald, deputy director of Glasgow's Piping Centre: "They're as good as anything we've got here."
All of which is music to the ears of MacLellan and wife Avis Taylor, 35, a model, who supported her husband's pipe dream in the days before it was profitable. "I like shopping and driving fancy cars," jokes Avis. "We're not there yet, but I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel."
April 25, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!