Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How to Score an Invite Inside Christian Grey's Seattle Apartment
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- With Teresa Giudice Locked Up, Is Bravo Looking for a New RHONJ Cast Member?
- McDonald's New Super Bowl Ad Says You Can Pay for Food With 'Lovin'
- What Will Biggest Loser Winner Toma Dobrosavljevic Do with His $250,000 Winnings?
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday January 30, 2015 06:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 14, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 9
A Jersey Guy (Via Glasgow) Makes Pipes Even Scots Envy
Scots have long regarded their bagpipes as the only ones worth playing, but MacLellan's Garden State variety is winning fans on both sides of the Atlantic. For the Glasgow-born MacLellan, 41, who moved to the U.S. in 1980 and worked as a silversmith before launching his fledgling business six years ago, making the musical instrument of his fathers in the adopted land he loves is, he says, "the perfect mix of who I am."
MacLellan's bagpipes have silver ferrules (ringlike decorations) and hand-carved drones (the aptly named pipes themselves). And with demand fanned by tartan-packed movies like Bravebeart and Rob Roy (and Titanic, which featured Irish-style uilleann pipes), buyers from as far as Hong Kong must wait up to four months for MacLellan's $1,50043,000 pipes. Says Angus MacDonald, deputy director of Glasgow's Piping Centre: "They're as good as anything we've got here."
All of which is music to the ears of MacLellan and wife Avis Taylor, 35, a model, who supported her husband's pipe dream in the days before it was profitable. "I like shopping and driving fancy cars," jokes Avis. "We're not there yet, but I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel."
January 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!