Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sean and Catherine Giudici Lowe Celebrate Baby Shower
- Read the Cover Story: Céline Dion: 'I Lost the Love of My Life'
- Justice Department to Seek Death Penalty Against Alleged Charleston Church Shooter Dylann Roof
- 5 Things to Know About The Real O'Neals' Noah Galvin
- John Travolta Says His Daughter Ella Channels Meghan Trainor When Making Decisions: 'The song 'My Name Is No, My Number Is No' – That's Her!'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 19, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 14
With Simon Birch, 11-Year-Old Actor Ian Michael Smith Puts His Books Aside to Bring Dwarfism to the Screen
For equally obvious reasons, Smith's starring role in Birch has made him a target for autograph hunters. "I'm easy to recognize," he notes. Smith suffers from Morquio's syndrome, a hereditary disorder that causes dwarfism; he has already reached his full height of 3' 1½". He has had spinal surgery and two operations on his legs to correct misalignment and rides a scooter from class to class at his public school. But, says the 37-lb. sixth grader, "I've just been a normal kid."
Not to mention precocious. "He's an extraordinarily bright and perceptive child," says Judd. "He's into chemistry and is constantly reading a book." Smith—who lives in a Chicago suburb with brother Brian, 5, and parents Steve, a marketing consultant, and Gayle, a former teacher—dreams of becoming a lawyer. But he will always be proud of Birch. In past films, he says, dwarfs "have been portrayed as freaks. I hope [viewers] understand that we're just normal people."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!