Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,190 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Shania Twain Diagnosed With Respiratory Infection, Cancels Tour Dates
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Donald Trump and Family!
- YouTube Star Caleb Logan Bratayley Remembered at Memorial Service: 'He Knew How to Light Up a Room'
- On 'Purpose'! Justin Bieber Shares Shirtless Selfie to Show Off New Tattoo
- Bill Rancic: Duke's First Day of School Was 'Tough on Daddy'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 19, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 14
Off the Top of His Head, Bret Atkins Found An Idea for a Western Hard Hat
"I just came home one day," says Atkins, 43, "and said to my wife, 'I'm going to make a hard hat that looks like a cowboy hat.' " The result: the Western Outlaw, a hat that would have made Jesse James proud, not to mention safer. It's selling so well at $28 to $34 (and up to $250 on Saudi oil rigs) that Western Hardhats, the company Atkins started in September 1996, has grossed close to $2 million this year. "I figured I was going to sell like 10 hats to friends and people I work with," says Atkins.
The son of an oil worker and a contact lens technician, Atkins, who lives in Bakersfield, Calif., first tried bonding fiberglass to a straw Stetson; it burst into flames. After a year, and with financial help from friends, Atkins met federal hard-hat specs with the polypropylene Outlaw. When Katie Couric wore one on the Today show in February 1997, sales took off. "The money was a shock," says Atkins. "It wasn't anything I was used to."
Atkins quit his $35,000-a-year sales job in April and now spends his days at sales conferences and trade shows, where no one ever, ever asks him to take off his hat.
October 06, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!