Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Demi Lovato Speaks for Mental Health Awareness at Democratic National Convention, Performs 'Confident'
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Revolt at the DNC: Sarah Silverman Scolds Sanders Supporters for Booing, 'You're Being Ridiculous'
- Jennifer Lopez and Calvin Harris 'Talking About a Music Collaboration,' Says Source
- Naomi Watts Shares Sweet Birthday Message to Elder Son Sasha
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 19, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 14
Off the Top of His Head, Bret Atkins Found An Idea for a Western Hard Hat
"I just came home one day," says Atkins, 43, "and said to my wife, 'I'm going to make a hard hat that looks like a cowboy hat.' " The result: the Western Outlaw, a hat that would have made Jesse James proud, not to mention safer. It's selling so well at $28 to $34 (and up to $250 on Saudi oil rigs) that Western Hardhats, the company Atkins started in September 1996, has grossed close to $2 million this year. "I figured I was going to sell like 10 hats to friends and people I work with," says Atkins.
The son of an oil worker and a contact lens technician, Atkins, who lives in Bakersfield, Calif., first tried bonding fiberglass to a straw Stetson; it burst into flames. After a year, and with financial help from friends, Atkins met federal hard-hat specs with the polypropylene Outlaw. When Katie Couric wore one on the Today show in February 1997, sales took off. "The money was a shock," says Atkins. "It wasn't anything I was used to."
Atkins quit his $35,000-a-year sales job in April and now spends his days at sales conferences and trade shows, where no one ever, ever asks him to take off his hat.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!