Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Celebrate Garry Marshall's Most Iconic Movies and TV Show with Us
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Busy Philipps on Raising Two Daughters: 'My Greatest Fear' Is One Will Be Sexually Assaulted
- WATCH: Olympian Allyson Felix's Message to Aspiring Female Athletes: 'If You're Passionate About Something, Go After It'
- WATCH AND SHOP: The Hottest Watch of 2016 – with an Exclusive Discount
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 19, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 14
High on Coltrane
Jazz Great John Coltrane's Memory Lives on at a Church That Finds God in His Music
That quest led King to found the Saint John Coltrane African Orthodox Church. Now every Sunday morning some 70 congregants pack into a modest San Francisco storefront to hear Bishop King conduct a three-hour service that is part worship, part jam session. "Music is a big reservoir that we all dip out of," says King, quoting Coltrane. "And," he adds, "so is spirituality."
The renowned musician demonstrated his own strength of spirit, overcoming heroin addiction a decade before he died from liver failure in 1967 at the age of 40. He once said that he hoped to show people "the divine in a musical language that transcends words...to speak to their soul."
An image of Coltrane—in a white robe, with a halo and playing a sax emitting fire—is emblazoned on a mural at King's church, which has become such a fixture in the Western Addition district of the city that tourists from all over the world find their way each week to the church's seven small pews. "Sometimes folks come in here," says King, "and the music's so loud it scares the devil out of them."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!