Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Man Charged in Murder of Friend's 5-Year-Old Daughter Allegedly Sexually Assaulted Her and Left Suicide Note
- Read the Cover Story: The Final Five: Their Amazing Journey!
- WATCH: The Real Housewives of New York City's LuAnn de Lesseps Confronts Fiancé over Infidelity Rumors – 'How Could You Do This To Me?'
- WATCH: Find Out What It's Like to Fight with Bethenny Frankel Straight from One of Her RHONY Costars!
- WATCH: There's One Shocking Trump Quote Clinton Refused to Read Aloud on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 26, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 15
This Ballot's No Secret: Three Political Activists List Women They'd Like You to Think About as Possible Presidents
These days Wilson, president of the feminist Ms. Foundation in New York City and the mastermind behind Take Our Daughters to Work Day, no longer sheds tears over injustice; she's too busy fighting it. Last year she launched the White House Project—an effort to encourage women candidates to run for President by disseminating 8 million ballots listing the names of 20 top female achievers drawn from politics (Gov. Christine Todd Whitman of New Jersey), the military (Lt. Gen. Claudia J. Kennedy) and business (Maxwell House president Ann Fudge).
The ballots are being published in magazines (including PEOPLE) and distributed in stores in 12 states, and the results will be published by the White House Project. The idea, says Laura Liswood, vice chairwoman of Harvard's Council of Women World Leaders and Wilson's partner in the project (along with wealthy Boston social activist Barbara Lee, who put up $500,000), is to encourage voters, both male and female, to think of women as worthy of the White House. "It's the last bastion," says Liswood, 48. "We've had governors. We've had generals. But we haven't had Presidents yet."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!