Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Dan Deacon on Touring with Miley Cyrus: She's Surprisingly 'Down to Earth'
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Miranda Lambert Heads Home to Texas for Thanksgiving: 'Nothing Beats a Note from Mom'
- All Grown Up: How Sasha and Malia Obama Have Changed Since Dad Took Office
- VIDEO: Eagles of Death Metal Recall Horror of Paris Terror Attacks: We 'Immediately Knew Something Was Wrong'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 26, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 15
Through Beloved, Kimberly Elise Forges Her Future—and Comes to Terms with Her Past
And proud of it. Oprah Winfrey, who portrays an ex-slave in Jonathan Demme's screen adaptation of Toni Morrison's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel Beloved, needed just one look. Explains Winfrey, who plays Elise's mother in the film: "I saw a photo of her and believed she could be my daughter." For her part, Elise—who made her film debut in 1996's Set It Off—felt "it was my destiny" to play her character, Denver. Like Denver, Elise—-one of four children of Marvin Trammel, owner of an executive search firm, and Erma, a third-grade teacher—felt isolated outside her home. "It wasn't like kids said, 'Let's leave her out,' " she says. "They didn't see me to begin with."
But the graduate of L.A.'s renowned American Film Institute is not one to feel self-pity. Expecting her second child with her husband, photographer Maurice Oldham, this month, the mother of Aja, 8, feels even more emboldened by Beloved. "If I come from a people who can escape slavery pregnant and barefoot," she says, "then what can I not do?"
November 23, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!