Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: See Joanna Krupa's Egg-Retrieval Procedure
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- It's Another Girl for Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell!
- Which Former Boy Band Member Will Compete on The Amazing Race?
- Kim Kardashian Wore Fur-Lined Strappy Stilettos, and Yes, There are Photos
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 11:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 16, 1998
- Vol. 50
- No. 18
Rock of Ages
Above the Sahara, a Roving Photographer Finds Majestic Etchings of Ancient Giraffes
Etched in the stone were images of two giraffes, one 20 feet tall—perhaps the largest prehistoric rock art ever found. "We were stunned," says Coulson, 49, son of a former British ambassador to the U.S. "It was like entering an obscure art gallery and stumbling across a Renoir."
Unknown until now except to desert nomads, the extraordinary work was made 7,000 to 9,000 years ago by tribesmen who lived in the Sahara when it was less arid and giraffes were revered. But don't plan on trekking off to see the carving anytime soon. Coulson, who cofounded the Trust for African Rock Art in 1995, is keeping its location secret to protect it from vandals.
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!