Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM EW: Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks Reunite in Trailer for Her Directorial Debut Ithaca
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Enjoy Romantic Dinner Date in L.A. – Get the Details!
- President Obama Passes The Torch: 'Never A Man Or Woman – Not Me, Not Bill, Nobody – More Qualified Than Hillary Clinton'
- Tim Kaine Dedicates First Speech as VP Nominee to His Son Deployed With Marines: 'I Trust Hillary Clinton With Our Son's Life'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 25, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 3
Shakespeare in Love Costars Gwyneth Paltrow and Ben Affleck Split After More Than a Year in the Spotlight
She said nothing about man overboard. Paltrow and Affleck, both 26, broke up just after the holidays—even as moviegoers were lining up to see them both in Shakespeare in Love, the critically acclaimed satire about the playwright's own love life. Even many who knew the pair were caught off guard by the split. The two were together at the Dec. 3 New York premiere of Shakespeare. On New Year's Eve, Affleck partied without Paltrow in Manhattan, but the pair spent that weekend at a romantic Savannah bed-and-breakfast, The Gastonian. "If they were mad at each other, it sure didn't show," says assistant manager Denise Harrison. The breakup is reportedly amicable—a good thing since the two share a circle of friends (Affleck's Good Will buddy Matt Damon is dating Paltrow's pal Winona Ryder) and may well bump into each other around the buffet table.
Both have been wounded before. Paltrow, who grew up in Manhattan and the L.A. area as the daughter of actress Blythe Danner and TV producer Bruce Paltrow, was once linked to rock singer Donovan Leitch and actor Robert Sean Leonard. But her love life turned positively stellar when she met Brad Pitt while filming Seven in 1994. Affleck, from a working-class family near Boston, dated high school sweetheart Cheyenne Rothman for many years until 1997. "Women want to take [a] guy and make him different," he told USA Weekend last summer. "I can bend real far, but then it snaps back." Maybe Affleck, who was spotted buying gym weights in Manhattan two weeks ago, plans to work out the kinks.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!