Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,168 covers and 54,870 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: How the Sole Survivor Won the Game
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- FIRST LOOK: Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor Finds Dream Wedding Dress
- Judge Exonerates 14-Year-Old Boy Who Was Executed 70 Years Ago
- Watch the Merriest, Most Musical Christmas Prank Ever (VIDEO)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Thursday December 18, 2014 11:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 05, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 12
Erstwhile Cellar-Dweller Bruce Zaccagnino Runs the World's Biggest Small Railroad
The question was, would the world feel compelled to receive it. Like most obsessions, Zaccagnino's started innocently enough. He began in 1973 by building a modest layout in his basement. As the amount of track expanded, he was forced periodically to find more space. "We had to build five cellars onto the house, he had so many ideas," says his wife, Jean, who enthusiastically supports her husband's hobby. "He'd tear things down to try something new."
In 1991, the couple, who have been married 27 years, bought a 16-acre site, and Bruce set to work building what he called Northlandz (the final "z" stands for his last name). Financed by bank loans and the sale of the Zaccagninos' home, the project required more than four years of 18-hour days to complete. Since opening for business in 1996, Northlandz has attracted nearly 400,000 visitors, including rocker (and model-railroad buff) Rod Stewart. Zaccagnino is installing a 35-foot steel bridge and sees no reason not to keep expanding. "Why this hasn't been done before," he says, "is a mystery to me."
December 18, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!