Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith Reunite To Watch Daughter Dakota Host Saturday Night Live
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Little Girl with Tumor Has One Final Wish – to Dance with Taylor Swift
- Sofia Vergara Sees You Staring at Joe Manganiello – and She Loves It
- William Shatner Can't Attend Leonard Nimoy's Funeral: 'I Feel Really Awful'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 05, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 12
Erstwhile Cellar-Dweller Bruce Zaccagnino Runs the World's Biggest Small Railroad
The question was, would the world feel compelled to receive it. Like most obsessions, Zaccagnino's started innocently enough. He began in 1973 by building a modest layout in his basement. As the amount of track expanded, he was forced periodically to find more space. "We had to build five cellars onto the house, he had so many ideas," says his wife, Jean, who enthusiastically supports her husband's hobby. "He'd tear things down to try something new."
In 1991, the couple, who have been married 27 years, bought a 16-acre site, and Bruce set to work building what he called Northlandz (the final "z" stands for his last name). Financed by bank loans and the sale of the Zaccagninos' home, the project required more than four years of 18-hour days to complete. Since opening for business in 1996, Northlandz has attracted nearly 400,000 visitors, including rocker (and model-railroad buff) Rod Stewart. Zaccagnino is installing a 35-foot steel bridge and sees no reason not to keep expanding. "Why this hasn't been done before," he says, "is a mystery to me."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!