Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Lawrence of Arabia Star Omar Sharif Is Suffering from Alzheimer's, Says Son
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- What Happened When Ray Liotta and Christopher Walken Sat Next to Each Other on a Flight?
- Never Hear 'You Look Tired' Again – Thanks to This Beauty Product
- Police Recover Body in Hudson River Near Where Kayaker Disappeared
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 26, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 15
At the End of His Tether, An Atlanta Firefighter Saves a Worker Trapped Above a Raging Inferno
Enter Mel Gib...er, Matt Moseley, a 30-year-old Atlanta firefighter. Harnessed to the end of an 80-foot polyester rope, he appeared angel-like out of the heavens as a rescue helicopter flew him toward Sims. "I told him I'd come up because his boss said he could knock off early," says Moseley, adding that Sims seemed not in the mood for his humor. "I wasn't thinking about jokes," the grateful rescuee says with a laugh. "I was thinking about getting to the ground."
Moseley, a scuba-diving buff who isn't crazy about heights, got the job done. As TV viewers held their breath, he secured Sims—unharmed except for mild heat exposure—to a harness, and both men were flown to safety by crack helicopter pilot Boyd Clines and navigator Larry Rogers. But a scarier challenge awaited Moseley the following day: appearing on all the morning talk shows. "I can't wait till this is over," says the unmarried hero (he has a steady girlfriend). "Fighting fires is nothing compared to the media."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!