Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- From Julie Andrews to Carrie Underwood, 50 Years of Solving a Problem Like Maria
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- Homeowners Association Denies 6-Year-Old with Leukemia Make-A-Wish Playhouse
- See the Tweets for Harrison Ford After His Plane Crash – And Impressive Prognosis
- Raven-Symoné Is Experimenting with a Platinum Blonde Hairpiece (PHOTOS)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 10, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 17
Lucy Liu: Actress
Then again, she doesn't have to. On the day Ally's Greg Germann (Richard Fish) and Liu began their onscreen romance, "I looked at her and just went, 'Whoa!' " says Germann. "She's stunning," agrees her friend Colin Gray, an actor. "She has this incredible sexual aura around her."
For Liu, 30, such reactions still come as a surprise. Although she lately has been turning heads on the big screen as well (with roles in Payback, True Crime and next month's Austin Powers sequel), during her childhood in Queens, N.Y., "the popular girls were all blondes," she says. The youngest of three children born to Chinese immigrants, "I wanted to be Barbie and I was as opposite to Barbie as you could get." The bowl haircuts she regularly got from her mother didn't help. But Mom did pass along one proven beauty trick. "She used to slather Vaseline on her face every night, and she looks great," says the unmarried Liu, who has traded up to pricey Yonka moisturizer. "I can't live without it. I have to have it for my face, and for my hair, which is long and can get tangled."
Liu also swears by treatments of olive oil and lavender to keep those locks "shiny and smelling nice," and stays fit practicing martial arts. With Ling-like confidence, she adds, "Maybe in 10 years I'll do something with my hair, like cut it short. But I feel lucky—there's really nothing to change."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!