Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Wearing Shorts This Weekend? You Might Want to Check Out This Smoothing, Firming Spray
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Jennifer Lopez: What I Eat in a Day
- FIRST LOOK: See Pat Green's Touching Tribute to Long-Distance Parents in New Video
- N.Y.C. Food Cart Vendor Fired After Astronomical $30 Hot Dogs Cause Outrage
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 10, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 17
Howie Long: Sportscaster/actor
But being big has its drawbacks. Long says he adopted his distinctive flat top because his size 7 5/8 head is too large "to keep a big glob of hair on." The buzz cut—for which he pays $9 at a barbershop near the Georgian-style mansion in Albemarle County, Va., that he and Diane, both 39, share with sons Chris, 14, Kyle, 10, and Howie, 9—fits in with a style strategy he calls "easy to attain: I can be showered, shaved and out the door in 13, 14 minutes." To stay trim, he eats egg whites, chicken and white rice ("and then you splurge, because if you don't you go out of your mind") and follows a program of cardiovascular and resistance exercise. But at times, he says, his oft-injured body (as a player, he endured nine back and shoulder surgeries) "just doesn't want to work out. I'm like an old Coupe de Ville: If you leave it in the garage too long, it has trouble starting up."
Luckily, the guy with the big head and big feet (size 13) comes with a heart to match. Sunday cohost Terry Bradshaw calls Long "the most unassuming gorgeous guy there is." Says Diane: "You look at him and think: strong, powerful, maybe aggressive—but that's not his personality. You can tell from his face that he's very kind and warm. People walk up to Howie like they've known him for 20 years." Now that's a big compliment.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!