Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Swimsuit Model Mayka Kukucova Found Guilty of Murdering Jewelry Tycoon Ex-Boyfriend Andrew Bush
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Police Allege Air Force Sgt. Used Chainsaw to Cut Up Remains of Ex-Wife Air Force Veteran Who Had Been Missing Since April
- The PEOPLE Review: Roots Gets an Impressive, Powerful Remake
- Rapper Mally Mall Outraged With Las Vegas Officials for Posting Photo of His Dead Cat
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 17, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 18
The Way We Were
A Look Back at the Year People Began
"I feel I've gotten a pretty bad shake in this country," Watergate conspirator E. Howard Hunt, 55, told PEOPLE. Now living in Miami, Hunt says, "Today's Republicans are pretty wimpy."
Boys Will Be Boys
Clint Eastwood had the star power when Thunderbolt and Light-foot opened May 22, but Jeff Bridges got more kudos for this classic buddy flick. As the flighty drifter Lightfoot, he persuades former thief Thunderbolt (Eastwood) to rob again. The role earned Bridges an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. (His most recent film, Arlington Road, opens this summer.) Eastwood, who won an Oscar for directing 1992's Unforgiven, recently starred in True Crime.
Defeat of a Small Terrorist Army
At least 1,000 rounds of ammunition were exchanged as police battled the Symbionese Liberation Army outside a Los Angeles auto-towing yard May 17. Authorities initially believed kidnapped heiress Patty Hearst was among five victims burned beyond recognition in the ensuing fire, but she remained at large as a suspected terrorist until her Sept. 18, 1975 arrest by the FBI.
BORN THIS WEEK
MAY 23, 1974
The 23rd Miss USA pageant made a winner out of both Karen Jean Morrison, 19, of Illinois, and CBS, which scored the week's highest ratings May 18. Married 20 years with four children, Karen Jean Comstock now works as a teacher's aide in her home state following a year spent helping AIDS patients in Kenya.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!