Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chris Pratt Launches Facebook Competition to Create His Next Header Photo, Hilarity Ensues: See the Meme-Worthy Pics
- Read the Cover Story: The Bachelorette's Kaitlyn and Shawn 'It Was Love At First Sight!'
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Debut Shoe Collection – With Zero Input from the Kardashians
- How Are Fans Reacting to One Direction's Surprise Single?
- FROM EW: The Walking Dead Cast Reveals Who Would Die First in a Real Zombie Apocalypse
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 17, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 18
Cheryl Haworth Is Going Where No Girl Has Gone Before—into the Record Books with Herculean Feats
She's already a gold medal favorite at the 2000 Sydney Games, where women's weight lifting will make its Olympic debut. All the more impressive is that, due to years needed to build muscle, weight lifters don't generally peak until age 30. Says coach Michael Cohen of his muscular prize pupil, who is flexible enough to do splits and boasts a standing 30-inch vertical jump: "You only come across this level of athlete once in a blue moon. She's the only school-age child to ever hold adult U.S. records."
The second of three daughters of Bob, an auto broker, and Sheila, an RN, Haworth found her calling in August 1996, when she walked into the gym where Cohen coaches to work out with her softball team. "It looked like a lot of fun," says the prize-winning artist and sophomore at the Savannah Arts Academy. And it gave her a lift, she says, to realize for the first time that her weight could be a plus. "Even though I'm walking around school and I'm way heavier than everybody," Haworth says, "I just think, 'I'm in better shape than you are. It just doesn't look like it.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!