Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chris Brown in Legal Trouble Again After Former Manager Accuses Him of 'Brutally Attacking' Him
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- WATCH: Judy Garland's Daughter Lorna Luft Sings 'Over the Rainbow' for the First Time, in Tribute to Orlando, Stonewall and Her Late Mother
- Charlotte Tilbury Reveals the Inspiration Behind the Lipstick She Co-Created with Kim Kardashian West
- Free State of Jones: The Incredible True Story of Newton Knight and His Private Rebellion Against the Confederacy
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 17, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 18
Boisterous and Bibulous to the Very End, Actor Oliver Reed Enjoyed a Famously Spirited Life
Reed, 61, spent the final moments of his life doing what he loved best—drinking in a bar. On May 2 at a pub in Malta, where he was working on the film Gladiator, Reed suddenly suffered an apparent heart attack. "He was one of those great spirits," says actor Michael York. "I'm sure Oliver Reed stories will abound and be celebrated through the centuries."
Born in Wimbledon, England, Reed worked as a boxer and strip-club bouncer before his uncle, director Carol Reed, cast him as villainous Bill Sikes in 1968's Oliver! Two years later, Reed's then-shocking nude wrestling scene in Women in Love cemented his acting future, and he went on to costar in 1974's The Three Musketeers and '75's Tommy, among his roughly 70 films.
Reed had two children, Mark, 38 (with model Kate Byrne, his wife from 1960 to '70), and Sarah, 29 (with dancer Jacquie Daryl, his '70s companion). In 1980, at 42, he began dating Josephine Burge, then 16. Their 1985 marriage lasted until his death, but Reed never mellowed. In January, he was arrested in England after a drunken brawl. "In 10 years," he said in 1995, "I will be wondering whether or not I've got to apologize for my behavior last night...still."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!