Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- #RoyalBaby: The Princess's Arrival Generated Over 1 Million Tweets
- The Style Top 5: All the Stars Are Going Gray, Amal Clooney's Stylish Sister Hits N.Y.C and More
- Beyoncé Steals the Show at Mayweather-Pacquiao Fight (PHOTO)
- New Girl's Schmidt Wants to Play … a Woman?
- Private Jets Shut Down Las Vegas Airport Before Saturday's Big Fight
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 07, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 21
Matel Dawson Works Hard, Lives Frugally—and Has Given Away $1 Million
Divorced in 1976, Dawson, who has a grown daughter, began giving in 1991. The eighth-grade graduate has donated $230,000 to the United Negro College Fund, $200,000 to Louisiana State, $10,000 to community colleges, $112,000 to various churches—and a total of $440,000 to Wayne State. "Students send him thank-you notes," says Donald Ritzenhein, a vice president at the school. "That seems to be what he wants." Dawson has also been treated to trips, including one in 1998 to New York City, where he met Bill Cosby. "He put his arms around me and said, 'Where'd you get all that money from?' " recounts Dawson, still tickled by the memory. "I said, 'I'm tryin' to catch up with you!' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!