Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Third Man Indicted in Kidnapping, Rape and Murder of Tennessee Nursing Student Holly Bobo
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Gwyneth Paltrow's Go-To Workout Is Coming to the Hamptons
- FROM EW: Pitch Perfect 2's Hailee Steinfeld Lands Record Deal
- Jake Owen: How My Bank Teller Kickstarted My Music Career
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 07, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 21
The Postal Service Rejects Dee Martin, but She and Her Supporters in Starrucca, Pennsylvania, Aren't Licked yet
Wrong! When the position did become open last fall, Martin believes she was passed over because the other candidate had a college degree and she did not. "All these years I was told I was doing a pretty good job," says Martin, 45, who admits being crushed by the decision, "and I have this theory that if you do a good job, you get what you should."
Outraged local residents agreed and, as the contemporary phrase goes, went postal. Within a week nearly every adult in Starrucca—154 in all—had signed a petition asking that the job be given to Martin, who was born and raised in the town and is married with two children. One signer, cookbook author Susan Wyler, recalls when Martin drove 40 miles to Scranton, on her own time, to retrieve a lost package that Wyler urgently needed. When Martin's congressman, Don Sherwood, learned of the flap, he demanded an explanation from the Postal Service, which has said only that the other candidate was more qualified. Whether or not the decision can be reversed, Martin, touched by the outpouring of support, is determined to see a bright side to her predicament. Says she: "I didn't realize so many people liked me."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!