Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- It's Been a Year! Why Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Still Aren't Divorced
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Want to Spend the Weekend at Princess Diana's Childhood Home? Here's How!
- These Red, White and Blue Nachos Are the Patriotic Party Snack You Need
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd on the Best Parenting Advice They've Received: 'Don't Read Books!'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 07, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 21
In a Manhattan Hotel Room, Artist Cosimo Cavallaro Creates a Floor-to-Ceiling Homage to Fromage
Cavallaro's magnum opus, Room 114, can be seen in Manhattan's Washington Jefferson Hotel. Using a blend of Swiss cheeses heated in a microwave, he has plastered every surface, including the TV and bed. "It reminds me of childhood," says Cavallaro, 36. "It's play."
The son of Giuseppe, a welder, and Amalia, a cheese merchant, Cavallaro grew up in Montreal, where he was an art director for films and commercials. In 1995 he moved to New York City to pursue his art career. He isn't quite sure why he chose cheese, but his first canvas was his father's armchair. "He just looked at me and asked, 'Why?' " says Cavallaro. "My mother started to laugh; people who get it laugh."
Many hoteliers probably wouldn't laugh, but the Washington Jefferson is going to use room 114 as a performance studio anyway. And they were planning to trash the furniture that's now covered with cheese.
Cavallaro says that while he would next like to have a meltdown on a gondola, or perhaps in an elevator, he will soon move on to other mediums. "What I don't want," he says, "is to become known as the Cheese Guy." Well, that's Edam shame.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!