Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Langston Hughes Celebrated in Sunday's Google Doodle
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Recovery Would Be a Miracle, Says Source
- Former Power Rangers Star Arrested for Murdering Roommate with a Samurai Sword
- President Obama Weighs in on DeflateGate: 'If You Break the Rules, Then You Break the Rules'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday February 01, 2015 07:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 07, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 21
In a Manhattan Hotel Room, Artist Cosimo Cavallaro Creates a Floor-to-Ceiling Homage to Fromage
Cavallaro's magnum opus, Room 114, can be seen in Manhattan's Washington Jefferson Hotel. Using a blend of Swiss cheeses heated in a microwave, he has plastered every surface, including the TV and bed. "It reminds me of childhood," says Cavallaro, 36. "It's play."
The son of Giuseppe, a welder, and Amalia, a cheese merchant, Cavallaro grew up in Montreal, where he was an art director for films and commercials. In 1995 he moved to New York City to pursue his art career. He isn't quite sure why he chose cheese, but his first canvas was his father's armchair. "He just looked at me and asked, 'Why?' " says Cavallaro. "My mother started to laugh; people who get it laugh."
Many hoteliers probably wouldn't laugh, but the Washington Jefferson is going to use room 114 as a performance studio anyway. And they were planning to trash the furniture that's now covered with cheese.
Cavallaro says that while he would next like to have a meltdown on a gondola, or perhaps in an elevator, he will soon move on to other mediums. "What I don't want," he says, "is to become known as the Cheese Guy." Well, that's Edam shame.
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!