Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Stranded Boaters Rescued from Uninhabited South Pacific Island After Writing 'SOS' in Sand
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Britney Spears Says Carpool Karaoke was 'a Little Awkward' as She Calls James Corden a 'Teddy Bear'
- NBA Star Dwyane Wade's Cousin Killed in Chicago Crossfire: 'Another Act of Senseless Gun Violence'
- Donald Trump's Doctor Admits He Wrote GOP Nominee's Health Report in Just 5 Minutes
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 07, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 21
How Can You Tell George Schaeffer's Opi Nail Polish Has Become a Big Favorite? by a Show of Hands
It works. Thanks to OPI, the lacquer at so many celebrity fingertips, Schaeffer is perched atop the scratch-your-eyes-out world of high-fashion nail polish, with 20 million bottles shipped last year and $50 million in annual sales.
A former garment manufacturer in New York City, Schaeffer, 52, whose family came to America as refugees from Hungary, moved to L.A. in 1981 and bought a dental supply company that he renamed Odontorium Products Inc. When manicurists started buying his dental materials to make fake nails, he left the bridgework business behind but kept the company initials. The fake nails led to the multihued—and whimsically titled—lacquers in the distinctive curved bottles. After all, as Schaeffer says, "What do you do when you finish a nail? You put a color on it." Among the choices for OPI customers: Head 'Em Up, Mauve 'Em Out; Wanted...Red or Alive; and Rodeo Rose.
Married with two teenagers, Schaeffer hired sister-in-law Suzi Weiss-Fischmann to help him run the company. "I have the crazy ideas," he says. "She's the one who carries them out."
While he dries his nails.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!