Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber Split After 11 Years Together
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Lil Wayne's Memoir of Prison Life Says Alleged Betrayal by Drake Was the 'Worst Thing I Could Have Found Out'
- Three Arrested, Including 17-Year-Old Girl, in Triple Homicide of California Parents and Friend
- FROM EW: Garth Brooks Earns Historic RIAA Achievement: How the Country Star Beat the Beatles
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 07, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 21
How Can You Tell George Schaeffer's Opi Nail Polish Has Become a Big Favorite? by a Show of Hands
It works. Thanks to OPI, the lacquer at so many celebrity fingertips, Schaeffer is perched atop the scratch-your-eyes-out world of high-fashion nail polish, with 20 million bottles shipped last year and $50 million in annual sales.
A former garment manufacturer in New York City, Schaeffer, 52, whose family came to America as refugees from Hungary, moved to L.A. in 1981 and bought a dental supply company that he renamed Odontorium Products Inc. When manicurists started buying his dental materials to make fake nails, he left the bridgework business behind but kept the company initials. The fake nails led to the multihued—and whimsically titled—lacquers in the distinctive curved bottles. After all, as Schaeffer says, "What do you do when you finish a nail? You put a color on it." Among the choices for OPI customers: Head 'Em Up, Mauve 'Em Out; Wanted...Red or Alive; and Rodeo Rose.
Married with two teenagers, Schaeffer hired sister-in-law Suzi Weiss-Fischmann to help him run the company. "I have the crazy ideas," he says. "She's the one who carries them out."
While he dries his nails.
September 24, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!