Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Five Things to Know: Two Children Allegedly Found Bound in Backyard of Texas Home
- Read the Cover Story: Prince Harry: Finding My Purpose
- Princess Diana's Final Resting Place to Undergo a Multimillion Dollar Renovation Under Her Brother's Watch
- Tom Brady Is Releasing a New $200 Cookbook (Supermodel Wife Not Included)
- WATCH: Lucy Liu Responds to Hollywood's Diversity Issue
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 07, 1999
- Vol. 51
- No. 21
How Can You Tell George Schaeffer's Opi Nail Polish Has Become a Big Favorite? by a Show of Hands
It works. Thanks to OPI, the lacquer at so many celebrity fingertips, Schaeffer is perched atop the scratch-your-eyes-out world of high-fashion nail polish, with 20 million bottles shipped last year and $50 million in annual sales.
A former garment manufacturer in New York City, Schaeffer, 52, whose family came to America as refugees from Hungary, moved to L.A. in 1981 and bought a dental supply company that he renamed Odontorium Products Inc. When manicurists started buying his dental materials to make fake nails, he left the bridgework business behind but kept the company initials. The fake nails led to the multihued—and whimsically titled—lacquers in the distinctive curved bottles. After all, as Schaeffer says, "What do you do when you finish a nail? You put a color on it." Among the choices for OPI customers: Head 'Em Up, Mauve 'Em Out; Wanted...Red or Alive; and Rodeo Rose.
Married with two teenagers, Schaeffer hired sister-in-law Suzi Weiss-Fischmann to help him run the company. "I have the crazy ideas," he says. "She's the one who carries them out."
While he dries his nails.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!