Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Prince William and Princess Kate Link Up with the Trudeaus to Meet Syrian Refugees in Vancouver
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- How Prince William Reacted to a Baby Having a 'Royal Poop' During the Couple's Visit to Vancouver
- Blinded by the Bling: Idina Menzel Debuts Her Massive Engagement Ring
- Miami Marlins Team Breaks Down in Tears at Press Conference in Wake of José Fernández's Death
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 06, 1999
- Vol. 52
- No. 9
The Indomitable Elizabeth Taylor Recovers from a Nasty Spinal Fracture
Taylor, though, has never been able to shake the back problems that began in 1944 when she tumbled from a horse while filming National Velvet. After a fall at home on Aug. 19, she was hospitalized with a compression fracture, in which a vertebra is squashed and "kind of pancakes down," explains her Beverly Hills neurosurgeon Patrick Rhoten. The painful problem—which Taylor, 67, has faced before and is a special risk for those afflicted with osteoporosis—means in her case six to eight weeks in a corset-like back brace but no surgery. The star plans to rest at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with Sugar, her little white Maltese, by her side "until we can get her pain under control," says Rhoten. "She's much more comfortable now. Her spirits are improving on a daily basis."
Taylor's medical file could already stock a decade of ER plots. Having endured colitis, an ulcer, repeated pneumonia, an emergency tracheotomy, a lacerated esophagus, an irregular heartbeat, emergency eye surgery, three hip surgeries, alcohol and prescription-drug abuse and a benign brain tumor, she is unfortunately accustomed to dealing with pain. "She'll be back on her feet," marvels Steiger. "I don't know how she does it. She just carries on."
September 24, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!