Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jet Black Ice Cream Is Officially a Thing We Need to Eat
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Alex Guarnaschelli Blogs: 3 Easy Recipes for the Perfect Picnic
- 17 Upcoming Shows You Won't Want to Miss
- Two Scientists Vow to Find a Cure for Their Son's Rare and Fatal Disease: 'I'm Proud of the Work My Parents Are Doing,' Says Teen
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 06, 1999
- Vol. 52
- No. 9
Pittsburgh's Alison Hoff Is Just Thrifting Through Life
"I just have a few more things than other people," says Hoff, 35, who actually has several thousand more, crammed into the three-bedroom Pittsburgh home she shares with her husband, real estate manager Pat Clark, 41. It's all the ceramic fruits of a lifetime spent browsing thrift shops—and also of never getting rid of anything. "A lot of people buy to sell," she says. "I buy things because I want them."
Hoff's obsession, which she traces back to the influence of her mother, Elizabeth, 69, a lifelong thrift-shop habitué, has led her to put out a zine named Thrift Score for her fellow junk-store junkies. (That's also the title of her book from HarperCollins.) Among the nuggets of advice for thrift-shop forays: Dress comfortably, keep both hands free, don't shop on Saturdays (everybody else is there too)—and never, ever leave your shopping cart unattended. Hoff used to think her home looked a bit like the set for Sanford and Son but then realized there was one key difference between herself and the TV junkman. "Wasn't he supposed to sell stuff?" she says. "I don't do that."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!