Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jason Priestley Shows His Support for Shannen Doherty Amid Cancer Battle: 'Shannen's a Strong Kid and a Tough Fighter'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher Bought Their Wedding Bands on Etsy – And They Cost How Much?!
- Kanye West Says Kim Kardashian Not Posting Nude Selfies 'Would Be Like Adele Not Singing'
- Ansel Elgort First Released EDM Music Under a Pseudonym Because He Didn't Want to 'Use My Name to Book Gigs'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 18, 1999
- Vol. 52
- No. 15
In the Choir or in Rose Petals, Mena Suvari Heats Up American Pie and American Beauty
The 5'4" Suvari no longer needs big shoes to stand out. As the siren-like teenager in the critically hailed American Beauty, Suvari is the rose-petal-covered object of Kevin Spacey's obsession. The role follows this summer's turn as a wholesome singer who falls for a jock in American Pie. "I had no true goal of getting where I am right now," she says. "So it's all really weird to me."
She'll get used to it. The youngest of four children of Ando, 76, a retired psychiatrist, and Candice, 52, a nurse, the Newport, R.I., native (her first name came from an Egyptian godmother; her last name is Estonian) became a model at 12 and then moved with her family to Los Angeles, where she landed small roles in TV and film. At the Pie audition, "she just blew us away," says producer warren Zide. But Suvari, who graduated from Providence High School in 1997, was particularly eager to join the Beauty cast. "I tend to be seen as innocent," she says, "so it was a good opportunity to do something opposite."
Though her career is taking off, Suvari is taking a break, planning a vacation with her boyfriend, cinematographer Robert Brinkmann, 37, with whom she lives in L.A. And she won't let her newfound fame go to her head. "I just want to work my hardest." She could, however, lose some of the high-flying footwear.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!