Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,190 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Miley Cyrus Remembers the Summer of Josh Duggar, Kim Davis, Rachel Dolezal and More in SNL Monologue
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Donald Trump and Family!
- SNL: Kate McKinnon's Faux Hillary Jokes with the Real Clinton About Not Supporting Gay Marriage Sooner
- Meet the Therouxs! Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Make First Joint Public Appearance as a Married Couple
- Barack & Michelle Obama's Cutest White House Moments, Ranked
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 01, 1999
- Vol. 52
- No. 17
A Loft Fire Claims a Trove of Actress Elizabeth Ashley's Personal Treasures
Like a dark irony in one of her late friend Williams's gothic tragedies, the blaze apparently began when Ashley, 60—a lifelong smoker whose fear of fire caused her habitually to douse ashtrays with bottled water—accidentally dumped a wet but still smoldering cigarette in a bedroom trash bin as she left her apartment that morning. "Because the thing I am most terrified of is fire," says Ashley, "I am horrendously careful." Not careful enough, however. "We believe that this was careless smoking," says New York City Fire Commissioner Tom Von Essen, who visited the scene. A Tony Award-winning actress whose six-year marriage to the late actor George Peppard produced her only child, Christian Peppard, 31, a New York City writer, she was preparing for a lead role in the forthcoming Off-Broadway comedy If Memory Serves. Now Ashley, who will live in a sublet while her loft is being repaired, is philosophical about her loss. "They say that God purifies with fire," she says. "Maybe for the first time in my life, I'll be purified."
October 03, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!