Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- These Celebrity Gingerbread Houses Are Too Sweet to Eat
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Homeless Kitten Born Without Eyelids Will Have Full Vision Thanks to Giving Doctor
- Bernadette Peters Talks About Her New Show Mozart and the Jungle
- Scarlett Johansson Dishes on Her Family’s Christmas Traditions
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday December 21, 2014 08:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 08, 1999
- Vol. 52
- No. 18
A Latter-Day Icarus, Daredevil Adrian Nicholas Gambols with His Life in a Winged Suit
Instead, he stepped out of a plane at 35,000 feet, wearing a "wing suit"—basically a jumpsuit with nylon, batlike wings—and glided to earth, activating his parachute only when he was within 500 feet of the ground. "It reminds you of those sensations from the dream," he says. "And you realize you knew how to do it all along. It's the most beautiful experience, too good to be true."
Nicholas, who grew up in the suburbs of London the son of a property developer and a homemaker, is an experienced sky diver with more than 6,500 jumps in the last five years. He makes his living teaching skydiving and by lecturing corporate leaders on how to handle pressure.
Nicholas's suit was invented by Patrick DeGayardon, a French skydiver who died last year on a jump in Hawaii. Now, Nicholas and his girlfriend, Katarina Ollikainen, 34, work to refine its design. Because of the sport's danger, the suit is available only to skydiving's elite. "I don't need someone getting hurt to remind me to be careful jumping out of an airplane," says Nicholas.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!