Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mary J. Blige: Sam Smith Is 'My Little Brother'
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Royally Awesome Spares, Sequels & Seconds That Are as Good as the Original
- William Shatner Planning to Write a Book About His Friendship with Leonard Nimoy
- Sofia Vergara Responds to Ex-Fiancé's Frozen Embryos Claims
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 15, 1999
- Vol. 52
- No. 19
A Joy to His World
Though Often Troubled, Musician Hoyt Axton Attacked Life with Gusto
Pot and speed, for which Deborah says he went through rehab in 1991, weren't his only vices. There was also his compulsive eating. "He loved food," says singer Cory Wells of Three Dog Night, which recorded such early-'70s Axton signatures as "Joy to the World" and "Never Been to Spain." Yet even following his stroke, Axton continued to indulge his appetite. "That was Hoyt," says Kay. "He did things his way."
Axton's sure-minded convictions usually paid off. Son of songwriter and publicist Mae Boren Axton, who cowrote "Heartbreak Hotel," and John Axton, a high school football coach, Hoyt attended Oklahoma State on a football scholarship. He dropped out in 1958, joined the Navy, then began performing in West Coast coffeehouses. In 1975 he penned Ringo Starr's antidrug hit "The No No Song." Axton also prospered as a TV and film actor (1984's Gremlins). Still, "he was writing songs to the end," says Donna Axton, who remained friendly with Hoyt after their 1990 divorce. "I really miss playing onstage with him. He'd say, 'Let's go and make some magic' And he always did."
April 16, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!