Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sharon Osbourne Taking One-Month Break from The Talk After Collapsing
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Robert De Niro Gives Blunt, Funny, Inspiring Commencement Speech to Acting School Grads
- Chris Pratt Apologizes in Advance for Potential 'JurassicGate' and Misbehaving on Press Tour
- Kris Jenner Tries to Embarrass Daughters Kourtney and Kim Kardashian with a Throwback Pic of Their Model Poses
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 07, 2000
- Vol. 53
- No. 5
A Ballot at Midnight
In His Third Century, Neil Tillotson, 101, Will Cast the New Hampshire Primary's First Vote
At 101, he has been courted in his lifetime by scores of campaigners who hope that as Tillotson goes, so goes the nation. In keeping with a 40-year tradition, Tillotson, a lifelong Republican, plans to shuffle into the local Balsams ski resort and, just past midnight on Feb. 1, cast the nation's first primary-season ballot. He wouldn't say whom he might bless, but hinted that McCain "makes a good impression."
Dixville Notch's first-votes-counted custom dates back to 1960, when the town, determined to be first in something, opened its polls at midnight on primary day. First to vote is usually the oldest resident–though Tillotson has clout as well as seniority. A high school dropout who once invented a way to make balloons in various shapes, he founded a rubber factory, bought the Balsams and owns another 20,000 acres. But money isn't everything, says thrice-married Tillotson, who has 25 grandchildren, 27 great-grandkids and four surviving children. "You're no better or no worse," he says, "if you've got a lot or a little."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!