Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: A Power Couple Witch Hunt and the Ascent of a Swinger Alliance?
- Read the Cover Story: Avril Lavigne Opens Up About Her Secret Health Crisis
- Hilary Duff's Favorite Mother-Son Activity: 'I've Been Trying to Get Him Into Cooking'
- WATCH: This Adorable Disney World Proposal Is Fairy-Tale Material
- Over 50 Greyhounds Found Dead in Australia, Officials Looking into Racing Connections
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 20, 2000
- Vol. 53
- No. 11
Bus Driver Rodney Plummer Learns a Cynical Lesson: Good Deeds at Lunch Hour May Be Punished
For Plummer, 47, the loss of innocence began when he spotted two teens attacking Francisco Perez, 17, at a Times Square subway station. Plummer, who lives in Edison, N.J., with his wife, Mai, and their two children, got between Perez and his assailants. Only after police arrived did he realize his left leg and arm had been badly bruised. On orders of T.A. doctors, he stayed home, losing 11 days' work. On Feb. 29, he found that two weeks' pay—$1,400 after taxes—had not been deposited in his bank account. His February rent check bounced, and Plummer had to borrow lunch money for his 15-year-old daughter.
New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani calls the ruling "idiotic," adding, "This is one of the things that drives people crazy about bureaucracies." For Plummer, who is appealing the pay ruling—a process that could take a year—the price of heroism is just beginning to sink in. "My feeling," he says, "is that I'm being beaten up again."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!