Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Aww! Watch Neil Patrick Harris's Twins Sing 'Jingle Bells'
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Watch George Clooney Seduce Elizabeth McGovern on Downton Abbey
- From Gwen Stefani to Jon Hamm: Our Favorite Moments from the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Watch Maroon 5, 5SOS Pharrell & Gwen Stefani Perform at the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 10:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 01, 2000
- Vol. 53
- No. 17
Making a Splash
With a Hot Modeling and Acting Career, My Uyen Gets by on More Than Her Looks
One of four children, My Uyen was born in Saigon, where her father, Ngo Cong Quyen, managed a hotel and casino. It closed just before the war ended, and the family moved south, where they planted trees and rice. "Everyone looks at me and says, 'She's a model,' " says My Uyen, "but I worked in the fields too."
In 1980, when her father was sent to reeducation camp for trying to escape the country by boat (the family had stayed behind), My Uyen's mother, Hoang Lan Huong, opened a dress shop to make ends meet. Now My Uyen, who lives with her parents and two sisters in a five-bedroom house in Ho Chi Minh City, pays many of the bills. While most Vietnamese models earn about $400 a month, she gets up to $7,000 for two or three days' work. Though "going to the U.S. and being an actress would be great," she says, there is one caveat—Hollywood would have to feed her first. Says My Uyen: "I can't do a romantic or crying scene when I'm hungry."
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!