Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sarah Palin Opens Up About Her 'Toughest Year' Yet – Including Her Cancer Scare and Getting 'Canned' by Fox News
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Nude and Shoe'd! Joan Smalls, Gigi Hadid and Lily Aldridge Go Naked in New Stuart Weitzman Campaign
- 'She Was a Compassionate and Dedicated Person': High School Friend of Jennifer Markovsky, Woman Killed in Planned Parenthood Shooting
- Alison Sweeney's Very Personal Reason for Joining the Fight Against Cancer: 'I've Lost a Lot of Loved Ones'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 01, 2000
- Vol. 53
- No. 17
Making a Splash
With a Hot Modeling and Acting Career, My Uyen Gets by on More Than Her Looks
One of four children, My Uyen was born in Saigon, where her father, Ngo Cong Quyen, managed a hotel and casino. It closed just before the war ended, and the family moved south, where they planted trees and rice. "Everyone looks at me and says, 'She's a model,' " says My Uyen, "but I worked in the fields too."
In 1980, when her father was sent to reeducation camp for trying to escape the country by boat (the family had stayed behind), My Uyen's mother, Hoang Lan Huong, opened a dress shop to make ends meet. Now My Uyen, who lives with her parents and two sisters in a five-bedroom house in Ho Chi Minh City, pays many of the bills. While most Vietnamese models earn about $400 a month, she gets up to $7,000 for two or three days' work. Though "going to the U.S. and being an actress would be great," she says, there is one caveat—Hollywood would have to feed her first. Says My Uyen: "I can't do a romantic or crying scene when I'm hungry."
December 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!