- Is the New 365 by Whole Foods Actually Cheaper? One PEOPLE Reporter Investigates
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- School District's Proposed Ban On Skinny Jeans as Anti-Bullying Tactic Met with Swift Backlash
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Reach Divorce Settlement
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- May 08, 2000
- Vol. 53
- No. 18
Before Arabian Nights' Mili Avital Met Boy Friend David Schwimmer, She Disarmed Reptiles on the Set
Now 28, Avital showed similar pluck shooting Nights on location in Turkey during November 1998. In one marketplace, "there were snakes," says executive producer Robert Halmi Sr. "But Mili just worked her heart out. She's a very tough little girl."
And gutsy. The oldest of two children of Iko and Noni, both graphic designers, Avital moved to New York City in 1992 with just $6,000, the paycheck from her last Israeli acting gig. "That money was gone within two months," she says. Then poof! a genie appeared—actually, a movie talent scout who spotted Avital waiting tables one day and got her cast in 1994's Stargate.
Next came a handsome prince: Friends' David Schwimmer, 33, with whom Avital fell in love while costarring in 1998's Kissing a Fool. "There is a very nice balance between them," says pal Melissa Ellin. "David might be a little quieter, where Mili is more outspoken." Last year the couple moved into a Mediterranean-style home in L.A., but Avital is currently in Belize to film After the Storm with Benjamin Bratt. "My life has been so unpredictable," she says, "that I never think about where it's going to take me next."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!