Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- World's Oldest Person Jeralean Talley Rings in Her 116th Birthday with Weekend Party
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Pretty Little Liars Sneak Peek: Ali Pleads for Help as Police Zero in on Andrew
- FROM EW: Shania Twain Explains Why Upcoming Tour Will Be Her Last
- Married at First Sight: Ryan and Jaclyn Get Silly During Shared Bathroom Time
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 03, 2000
- Vol. 54
- No. 1
The Romans Didn't Eat Caesar Salad, So Gladiator Food Expert Colin Capon Let Them Eat Locusts and Cicadas
In costume dramas, the clothes receive the attention. But getting the food right—or at least plausible—is important too. And that's what Capon, 55, does, whether recreating the insect snacks popular in Roman times ("So high in protein!" he exclaims) or the 19th-century feasts in films like the BBC's 1995 Pride and Prejudice. That means seeing that the bread is sometimes burned, the pastry lumpy and the fruit slightly leprous-looking. "There's nothing worse in a historical film," says the former Royal Air Force chef, who lives on England's south coast with his wife, Auriel, 53, "than having fruit straight from the supermarket."
Resurrecting meals of yore involves a lot of trial and error. "We'll have chickens delivered with their heads and feet on and trays of cows' feet," says Auriel. "He works through the night and then goes off, and I have to do the washing up." Just like in the Dark Ages.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!